Having an electrical inspection before buying your property can identify any dangerous electrical situations, which may be very costly to repair after you have purchased the property.
Whilst an overview of electrical and plumbing is part of a complete property inspection, it is not part of a pre-purchase property inspection, as defined by Australian Standard AS 4349.1 Inspection of Buildings, which is the minimum standard that all building inspection companies must comply with.
Electrical wiring and appliances would need to be tested by a qualified and licensed electrician using specialised equipment to determine their true condition, compliance and safety aspects. This is something that a regular building inspector is not qualified or permitted to do.
We can arrange for Shazam Electrical to carry out an electrical safety inspection on the property you are purchasing. Sam Richie from Shazam Electrical is highly experienced, licensed and insured. Sam is also a qualified air-conditioner installer and can check and test the air-conditioning system on a building for you.
What’s included in the electrical inspection
- Identifying any electrical hazards
- Checking for unsheathed permanent wiring
- Examining the power box
- Testing safety switches
- Checking power points and lighting
- Inspect for exposed wires
- Evaluating whether or not there is sufficient electrical service
- Checking for out-dated wiring systems
- Finding out whether the home includes do-it-yourself wiring
- Testing of smoke alarms and noting the location of the alarms
- Identifying any electrical items that do not comply with current government regulations
As with all of our inspections, you will receive a detailed, comprehensive and easy to understand electrical inspection report. This will help you feel confident with your decision to complete the property purchase or to back out of it, depending on the results of the electrical inspection.
If you require an electrical inspection, talk to Tina at BuildandPest.com when you book your pre-purchase home inspection and she can provide you with further information and arrange an electrical inspection for you.